Dandruff is an issue many people live with. Dandruff is the flaking of dead skin cells on your scalp. Oil from the scalp causes the skin cells to clump together and appear as white flakes. Dandruff can be caused by a number of things, including dry skin; sensitivity to hair products; and skin conditions such as psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis, or eczema. The overgrowth of yeast can also cause dandruff. Commercial dandruff shampoos are available, with chemical agents to remove the dead skin cells from your hair and treat the scalp,
Commercial dandruff shampoos are available, with chemical agents to remove the dead skin cells from your hair and treat the scalp, however, these products not only dry the scalp, which encourages more oil to be produced, but the ingredients in these products often cause irritation to the scalp and cause more problems than they solve.
I used to get dandruff with the changing of seasons (before I switched to a natural shampoo and conditioner). It would drive me nuts and I would sit there scratching and brushing as much off my scalp as possible. I have a serious reaction to store bought dandruff products. My scalp becomes red, inflamed and sore, and I get migraines from it.
I have experimented with many DIY dandruff treatments over the years and found one that really works well for me. It uses simple ingredients you probably already have at home and it’s inexpensive. Best of all, you can use this as a scalp treatment to keep your hair and scalp healthy all year round. I do this treatment once a week and I haven’t had dandruff in a long time.
Dandruff Treatment Ingredients
3 Drops of Tea Tree Essential Oil
How to Remove Dandruff and Clean Scalp
- Mix bi carb soda into your shampoo. I do this by putting some shampoo into a bowl and adding bi carb until it’s a thicker foamy consistency. I make up enough for a couple washes and store in a bottle.
- Wet hair with hot water, and massage your scalp with this mixture. Allow to sit for 2-3 mins before rinsing.
- Mix equal parts white vinegar and hot water together. You will need enough to saturate your hair completely. Add 3 drops of Tea Tree Essential Oil.
- Ring out hair after shampooing and Apply this rinse. Gently ring out hair and wrap in towel or turban and allow to sit for 30 minutes.
- Rinse hair out and condition.
Optional Additional Steps
I find after rinsing the vinegar out, that my hair best takes to a deep conditioning hair treatment. I use heated coconut oil, with 2 drops of Geranium, 2 Drops Cedarwood and 2 Drops Frankincense Essential Oil. I wrap my hair up again for 20 minutes, then rinse and condition. My hair turns out so soft and beautiful.
I brush and blow dry my hair after this treatment, and really get the circulation going. I brush my hair for about 10-15 minutes afterward. This also encourages growth.
Need to get your hands on 100% Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils? Click here to get up t0 25% off and have your oils drop shipped to your door. It’s easy!