Sandalwood (Santalum Album)
Sandalwood is a name given to a class of fragrant woods that, unlike other aromatic woods, can retain their fragrance for decades. Both the wood and oil have been highly valued for centuries and Sandalwood has a documented history of many applications.
It was traditionally used as an incense in religious ceremonies and for enhancing meditation, and the Egyptians used sandalwood for embalming.
Sandalwood is very beneficial to the skin; it can help reduce the appearance of skin imperfections and it promotes a healthy, smooth complexion. Sandalwood has a sweet, woody aroma that can enhance mood and is frequently used in meditation for its grounding effects.
Sandalwood not only has many benefits, but also multiple uses. Traditionally, it has been a significant therapeutic agent Chinese medicine and Ayurveda due to its healing properties.
In these traditional medicines, it has been used to treat urinary infections, digestive issues, coughs, depression, as well as infections. Sandalwood also has a centring effect similar to how lavender can be calming to the body. Sandalwood can help increase focus and mental clarity and balance.
Emotionally, Sandalwood is known as the Oil of Sacred Devotion, assisting with all kinds of prayer, meditation and spiritual worship. It teaches reverence and respect for Deity. Sandalwood teaches of spiritual devotion and spiritual sacrifice. It invites individuals to place all material attachments on the altar of sacrifice so that they may truly progress spiritually. This oil asks individuals to assess where their hearts truly are and challenges them to reorder their priorities to be in alignment with the Divine will.
To order your essential oils, click here
α-& b- santalols, α- & b-santalenes
Anti-inflammatory, Anti-Carcinoma, Astringent, Antidepressant, Calming, Sedative
Blends Well With
How to Use
- Add to your shampoo or moisturiser to improve the look of your skin and hair.
- Diffuse in your bedroom after a long, stressful day or before meditation.
- Apply to your skin the day before a big photo shoot or presentation.
- Diffuse or apply to the neck and shoulders at bedtime for a restful night’s sleep.
- After a long day of working on your honey-do list, add one to two drops to your hot bath to promote relaxation and reduce stress.
- Promotes healthy looking, smooth skin.
- Reduces the appearance of skin imperfections.
- Enhances mood.
- Frequently used in meditation for its grounding and uplifting properties.
- For an at-home spa experience, fill a large bowl with steaming water, then apply one to two drops of Sandalwood to your face and cover head with a towel. Place your face above the steaming water. Your skin will feel nourished and rejuvenated.
- Apply one to two drops to wet hair to help restore moisture and give hair a silky shine.
- Inhale Sandalwood directly from palms or diffuse to lessen tension and balance emotions.