Hawaiian Sandalwood (Santalum paniculatum)
The Hawaiian Sandalwood, Santalum paniculatum, can either be a shrub or a tree. In maturity, this plant can reach from 6 to 50 feet in height depending on the form it takes. In tree form, the canopy of the tree is 10 to over 30 feet wide. The diameter of the canopy is approximately half of the tree’s height. The leaves of the Hawaiian Sandalwood plant are green and glossy on their upper surface and are often pale and various coloured on their lower surface. This plant also produces flowers that are a mix of green, brown, orange, or salmon colours. These flowers give off a sweet aroma. The heartwood of the Hawaiian Sandalwood can also be very fragrant. doTERRA Hawaiian Sandalwood is extracted from the heartwood of the plant.
From a renewable source in Hawaii, doTERRA’s amazing Sandalwood essential oil delivers a variety of benefits, including smoothing skin and enhancing moods. With thousands of years of documented use, this oil has a high value to many users. Hawaiian Sandalwood has a rich, sweet, woody aroma that instils calmness and well-being, making it a perfect oil to incorporate into massage or aromatherapy. Sandalwood is very soothing and beneficial to the skin, making it highly sought after in body and skin care products. Hawaiian Sandalwood can reduce the appearance of skin imperfections while providing an overall youthful-looking complexion. In addition to being soothing and beneficial to the skin, Hawaiian Sandalwood provides these same effects to mood, helping to lessen tension and promote emotional well-being.
Hawaiian Sandalwood is rich with the chemical component santalol, which is part of the alcohols functional group and has a sesquiterpene backbone. It contains both α-santalol and ß-santalol. This ever-present chemical constituent contributes greatly to Hawaiian Sandalwood oil’s grounding effect on emotions.
To order your essential oils, click here
α-santalol, ß-santalol, lanceol
Astringent, Anti-viral, Antiseptic, Anti-inflammatory, Expectorant, Hypotensive, Anti-spasmotic
Blends Well With
How to Use
- Hawaiian Sandalwood is well-known for its skin benefiting properties and is often used in skin care products and routines. Add a little Hawaiian Sandalwood to your skin care routine to promote smooth and healthy-looking skin and to help reduce the appearance of occasional skin imperfections. Just apply one or two drops to the desired areas of your skin and gently rub the oil in. To minimize any skin sensitivity, dilute Hawaiian Sandalwood oil with doTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil.
- Incorporate Hawaiian Sandalwood oil into your yoga or meditation routines. Hawaiian Sandalwood oil is composed of natural chemicals that help ground emotions, and it is frequently used in meditation for its grounding and uplifting properties. To improve your meditation or yoga experiences, use Hawaiian Sandalwood oil topically or aromatically and encircle yourself with the grounding, uplifting, and mood-enhancing properties of Hawaiian Sandalwood essential oil.
- Soak those tense feelings away and enjoy a nice hot bath with Hawaiian Sandalwood essential oil. This bath is the perfect solution for the end of a tiresome day. Simply fill the bath with your desired temperature of water and add one to two drops of Hawaiian Sandalwood essential oil. This combination will help promote relaxation and lessen tension.
- Hawaiian Sandalwood essential oil is rich with beneficial properties for the skin and can be applied simply and quickly. For a radiant overnight skin makeover, add one to two drops of Hawaiian Sandalwood essential oil to your favorite moisturizer or night cream and apply it to the desired areas of your skin. This fast, nightly application will leave your skin looking healthy, smooth, and glowing for the next day.
- Lather, rinse, and repeat with Hawaiian Sandalwood oil and enhance the look of your hair. Add Hawaiian Sandalwood essential oil to the shampoo of your choosing and enjoy the fresh and healthy look it brings to your hair.
- Have a big presentation, wedding, or photoshoot in the near future? Make your skin the least of your worries. For healthy-looking and smooth skin, apply Hawaiian Sandalwood essential oil to your skin the day before your big event. This oil will help reduce the appearance of skin imperfections and will give you a nice, healthy glow.
- Because of Hawaiian Sandalwood oil’s powerful grounding and mood-enhancing properties, it can be used in a variety of different ways to help ease tension and help to destress. After a long, stressful day, diffuse three to four drops of Hawaiian Sandalwood oil in your diffuser to help uplift mood and decrease tension. For a restful night’s sleep, diffuse three to four drops of Hawaiian Sandalwood essential oil in your diffuser or apply a couple of drops to the neck and shoulders at bedtime. To lessen tension and balance emotions at any time of the day, inhale Hawaiian Sandalwood oil directly from the palms of your hands.
- Receive a supreme spa experience without taking a step outside of your home. Start by filling a large bowl with steaming water, then apply one to two drops of Hawaiian Sandalwood essential oil to your face. Place your face above the bowl of steaming water and drape a towel over the back of your head and across the bowl, creating a tent-like shape. This experience will help your skin feel nourished and rejuvenated.
- Give your hair a vibrant glow. Apply one to two drops to Hawaiian Sandalwood to your wet hair once you get out of the shower. This will help restore moisture to your hair and will give it a silky shine.